Workforce Board Staffing and Coordination
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act establishes local boards to determine policy to drive workforce development in the region and steer the delivery system to best serve both job seekers and local businesses. The Lowcountry Council of Governments staffs the board, coordinate their activities and also employs staff to carry out these actions in the region.
Adult and Youth Career Counseling
- We help job seekers achieve the necessary skills to become successful.
- We assist job seekers in navigating their way to employment, tech school, college or even into the military.
- We enlighten job seekers to options in the region and empower them to take this very important step towards a new career and good quality of life.
- If you are unemployed, underemployed, or new to the workforce; we can guide you down a path to success.
Advance Job TrainingClusters of Focus
- Transportation, Distribution, Logistics (TDL)
Recruitment: Help with candidate search, prescreen job candidates, improve job worker readiness, funding pre-hire training, plan training and reimburse wages for OJT* hires.
On the Job Training: For employers, On-The-Job-Training(OJT) is a way to compensate employers for providing training to eligible individuals for those jobs that only real-world, hands-on training can teach the skills for the job. We provide payments up to $5000 to employers for training eligible Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act(WIOA) participants. Payments are based on a percentage of the wage rate of a WIOA trainee. Adult workers 50% wage rate reimbursements and youth 75% wage rate reimbursements.
Incumbent Worker Training: Reimbursements to train currently employed workers in an effort to keep businesses and workers competitive, to provide training needed in current businesses due to expansion, new technology, retooling, new services/product lines or new organizational structuring or as part of a layoff aversion strategy; employers provide a matching of no more than 25% cost of training.
Contact: Tony Pollen
Local SC WORKS Centers
Beaufort County & Jasper County
- Address: 164 Castle Rock Road, Beaufort, SC 29901
- Telephone: 843-379-3532
- Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm
- Contact: Chappella Johnson, Tiffany Harrison
- Address: 1085 Thunderbolt Drive, Walterboro, SC 29488
- Telephone: 843-538-1613
- Fax: 843-538-1614
- Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Contact: Stephanie Ferguson, Mary Carter
- Address: 54 Tech Circle, Varnville, SC 29944
- Telephone: 843-694-7024
- Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30am – 4:00pm
- Contact: Shelia Bovain
SC Works Center, Walterboro
Banner Photo: Old Glory in Varnville by Jonathan Sherwood